Let’s walk the San Mateo Sixteen.
Our last training walk took us through some nice neighborhoods in the south bay, now it’s time to practice the peninsula. Join us April 23rd for this tough sixteen-mile figure-eight through San Mateo, Burlingame and Milbrae.
This sixteen-mile training walk is like The Commute in miniature: we’ll spend some time walking along El Camino, then turn toward Coyote Point to walk along the Bay Trail before heading back through downtown San Mateo and up the hill to Alameda de las Pulgas, south toward Hillsdale Mall, and back up El Camino to the finish at the San Mateo CalTrain station. Phew!
We’re going to take short breaks for stretches and stop for lunch at Coyote Point. Plan for this to take about six hours.
How to prepare:
This walk takes us along a major thoroughfare, down to the bay shore, and up a big hill. Here’s what we suggest bringing for this walk:
- Dress in light layers—lightweight pants, t-shirt or lightweight long-sleeved shirt, and a lightweight jacket. It can get very breezy by the water.
- Bring water—at least two quarts.
- Pack yourself a lunch and some snacks.
- Make sure to wear comfortable shoes, and comfortable clothes.
- Have a plan in place in case you need to leave early. If you develop a bad blister, twist your ankle, or just decide you’d rather be someplace else have a plan in place. It could be by bus, Uber, or by calling someone to come get you.
Check out the embedded map below. Click the menu button in the top-right corner of the map to get free printable directions.